Foster Grandparent Program
The Foster Grandparent Program is part of AmeriCorps Seniors, a nationwide program sponsored by The Corporation for National and Community Service and administered locally through Cascade County Aging Services.
Since 1965, Foster Grandparent Program Volunteers support in developing basic learning skills, sharing life experiences, and providing emotional support and one-on-one attention in areas of reading, writing, and math to prepare the children for independent living. Foster Grandparents are role models, mentors, and friends. The program provides a way for senior citizens to stay active by serving children and youth in their communities.
Great Falls Public School District is one of our largest worksites we work with in placing volunteers to help provide emotional support, helping develop academic skills, and tutoring children in reading and/or math. We also partner with pre-schools such as Head Start with Opportunities Inc. assisting with school readiness, providing emotional support and helping teach our youth the valuable skill of self-care.
Cascade County’s program has demonstrated consistent excellence by improving Literacy scores 92% and Math scores by 95% each year.
- Must be 55 years or older, Cascade County resident
- Willing to volunteer at least 20 hours per week
- Meet income requirements to receive tax-free stipend (200% of poverty)
- Pass State and FBI background check
- Willing to share knowledge and experience with young children
- Have compassion, enthusiasm, and patience to work with children
Benefits of becoming a Foster Grandparent
- Receive stipend of $3.00 per hour, if income eligible
- Mileage reimbursement to and from assigned worksite
- On-going training
- Annual volunteer recognition
- Supplemental Insurance coverage while serving
- Socialization and meet new people
If you are interested or know someone who would benefit from becoming a Foster Grandparent contact:
Tina Lopez, Program Manager by phone at (406) 454-6990 or by email at email@example.com
Preschools and other schools interested in learning more about how to get Foster Grandparents in their building should contact program manager.
**This program is available to all, without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, sex, political affiliation, or religion