The Cascade County Planning Department is open during its normal operating hours. Face masks are recommended when visiting the office. In order to slow the spread of COVID-19, we request you take the following precautions:
- The Planning Department will continue to process all permitting and applicable requests and prefer corresponding with applicants via email or phone. All permit applications and forms should be mailed or scanned/emailed electronically for processing. At this time, fees should be submitted by mail but can be dropped off at the office.
- We strongly encourage you to call 406-454-6905 or email us if you have general inquiries or are requesting information rather than visiting the office in person. Many inquiries can be handled over the phone.
- If you must visit the office, please remember to always maintain social distancing practices.
- Access to the map room is available by appointment.
- We are encouraging pre-application meetings to be conducted using online meeting platforms.
- If you have COVID-19 symptoms or feel sick, please wait to visit our office until they have resolved and/or call or email.
The Cascade County Planning Department is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the County's:
- Building for Lease or Rent Regulations
- Fireworks Permits
- Floodplain Regulations
- Growth Policy
- Location/Conformance permits
- Overall Land Use Management for the County
- State of Montana Subdivision and Platting Act
- Subdivision Regulations
- Zoning Regulations
In addition, the Planning Department oversees road abandonments, conflicts, and questions regarding land use and land use regulations, community decay investigation and enforcements, junk vehicle removal and disposal, as well as administration of the Planning Board and the Zoning Board of Adjustment.
Planning & Development
If you plan on building or developing land in Cascade County but outside the City of Great Falls, the incorporated towns of Belt, Cascade, or Neihart, please contact this office concerning any applications and regulations that may need to be adhered to prior to any development.
Regulations and permit applications are available. You can visit the Planning staff at the Planning Department's office. If you would like to meet with office staff to discuss an application or receive direct assistance from a planner or the mapping technician, please schedule an appointment.
The Planning Department currently consists of:
- One Planning Director
- Three Planners
- One Code Compliance Officer
- One Mapping Technician
- One Administrative Assistant