There are several reasons that you should get tested for HIV:
- If you have HIV, your doctor can monitor the damage HIV is doing to your immune system. He or she can help you stay healthy longer and help you decide the best time to start medical treatment.
- If you are or become pregnant, you can reduce the risk of passing HIV to your baby.
- If you know you have HIV, you can protect the person you have sex with from getting infected.
- If you have HIV, it is important to help the people you have had sex with or the people you have shared drugs with to get tested for HIV.
- An HIV test can give you peace of mind. It is the only way you can know for sure if you have HIV.