Can I Change My Name Or The Name Of My Child?

Yes. You may open a civil name change case with a fee of $120.  A name change packet is available from the Self-Help Law Center located at 13 6th Street South, (406) 205-0347, or from the Forms Section at Adults must publish in a newspaper for the statutorily required time but there is no publication requirement for a minor name change if both parents file a consent.

If the names of multiple children in one family are being changed, a separate petition must be filed for each child.  

Show All Answers

1. How Can I Find Out About My Child Support Payment History Or Inquire As To The Most Recent Payment?
2. My Child Support Is Not Being Paid. What Can I Do?
3. What Is The Best Way To Contact The Clerk Of Court With A Question?
4. Can I Pay Supervision And/Or Felony Restitution Fees Here?
5. How Much Do I Owe On My Criminal Fines And Fees?
6. How Do I Reach The Local Public Defenders Office?
7. Can I Submit My Filing Via Fax Or Email?
8. Can I Submit My Filing Electronically?
9. Can I Change My Name Or The Name Of My Child?
10. How Do I Become Emancipated?
11. How Do I File a Lien On Someone's Property?
12. How Do I Contact Great Falls Municipal Court?
13. How Do I Contact Cascade County Justice Court?
14. How Do I Obtain An Order Of Protection Against Someone?
15. If I Obtain An Order Of Protection Against Someone, Can It Be Removed Or Voided, And If So, How?
16. Can You Fax Me Copies Of A Document?
17. How Can I Find Out About Arrest Warrants On Myself Or Others?
18. Where Can I Get Copies Of Birth Or Death Certificates?
19. Where Do I Go To Pay A Traffic Ticket Or Citation?
20. Do I Have To Check-In For Court?
21. Can I Talk To The Judge?
22. How Can I Obtain Copies Of Records - Marriage License, Divorce Decree, Name Change Order, Etc., And What Is The Cost? Can I Have Copies Of Documents Certified By The Court?
23. I Got Called For Jury Duty But Have A Conflict And Cannot Appear. What Do I Do?
24. I Have Lost My Jury Summons. How Can I Obtain A Copy?
25. Who Can Marry Us?
26. Do I Have To Have An Appointment To Get Married By The Justice Of The Peace? How Much Does It Cost?
27. We Are Common Law Married; How Do We File A Declaration Of Marriage?
28. We Have Postponed Our Wedding Date And Already Received Our Marriage License. What Happens When The License Expires In 180 Days?
29. If We Did Not Get Married Within Six Months Of Applying For Our License, Is The License Still Valid?
30. We Never Returned Our Marriage License For Recording, Are We Married?
31. What Is A Marriage By Proxy?
32. What Are The Hours For Processing Marriage Applications?
33. Where Else Can I Get Information About Passports?
34. What Do I Need To Apply For A Passport?
35. What Are Your Hours For Issuing Passport Applications?
36. Do I Have To Open A Probate Case If My Parent Passes Away? How Do I Close His/Her Bank Account?