When do I need a license?

Anytime food or beverage is served to the public (with or without a charge) a state food license, temporary food service permit, or cottage food registration must be obtained. The only exceptions to this rule are non-profits that serve less than 4 days per year, and people that serve items that are commercially prepackaged which do not require refrigeration like canned soda, bags of chips, wrapped candy, etcetera. If the items are open, or if they must be kept cold or hot for safety, a license must be obtained. 

Show All Answers

1. When do I need a license?
2. What other agencies do I need to contact?
3. Where do I get a plan review application?
4. Why is plan review required?
5. What does the plan review application require?
6. What are the basic requirements for a commercial kitchen?
7. How much does the plan review cost?
8. Why is the plan review and license fee separate?
9. Are licenses transferable?
10. What do you look at during a preopening inspection?
11. How often are restaurants inspected by the Health Department?
12. Do I need food safety training? Do I need a food handler card?
13. Can I use my 3-compartment sink for handwashing? Do I need a 3-compartment sink if I have a dishwasher?
14. Why is commercial equipment required? Does it need to be NSF?
15. Do I need a grease interceptor?